Irish Chicken and Dumplings Soup
A delicious, wholesome and healthy meal that is easy to make, with majority of the cooking time being hands off simmering.
Great for a cold evening (occasionally get them in Thailand!), St Paddy’s day or any day ending with a “Y”.
- 3 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 4 medium (2-1/4″ to 3″ dia) potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups baking mix
- 1 ⅓ cups milk
- In large, heavy pot, combine soup, broth, chicken, celery, onion, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cover and cook another 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot, shred it, and return to pot. Add peas and cook only 5 minutes longer.
- Add dumplings. To make dumplings: Mix baking mix and milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto BOILING stew. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer an additional 10 minutes.