Quick and simple way to whip up a tasty pasta dish. Try to use good quality fresh tomatoes for the best taste, but tinned will work if all you have available. Try fresh rather than dried pasta for an enhanced experience.
- 500g spaghetti
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- crushed red pepper to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Pour olive oil in a large deep skillet over high-heat. Saute onions and garlic until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium-high and add tomatoes, vinegar and chicken broth; simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Stir in red pepper, black pepper, basil and cooked pasta, tossing thoroughly with sauce. Simmer for about 5 more minutes and serve topped with grated cheese.