Full English Breakfast
A full English breakfast, surprisingly, does not conform to a standard list of ingredients. There are certain must haves but also seasonal and geographic variations are abundant.
Must have ingredients are:
- Good hearty sausages which come in a variety of mixes, flavours and sizes.
- Bacon; which can be from different cuts, smoked or not and cooked in a variety of ways.
- Eggs; fried, poached or scrambled.
- Black pudding; optional for some.
- Mushrooms; optional again and seasonal.
- Baked Beans, tinned or freshly grilled/fried tomatoes or both.
- Hash browns have crept into the English breakfast but is most certainly not traditional. As has the Irish influence of fried potatoes [think sauteed and you’d be close].
- Bread [or toast] and butter – alternatively a fried slice is often used.
The sprig of parsley may be seen in some hotels but never in a greasy spoon. The moral in the story is that no matter how you enjoy your cooked English breakfast it is a great way to start the day and prepares you for anything.
Have a look at our vast selection of breakfast items and treat yourself to a great British fry-up this weekend. You know you deserve it!
- Preheat the oven to 220 C / Gas 7.
- In a frying pan over a medium heat, brown the sausages on all sides and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake the sausages in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Score a cross into the bottom of the tomato and place, cross side up, in the baking dish with the sausages.
- Bake the sausages and the tomato for 10 minutes. Turn off the oven, but do not remove the sausages and tomato.
- Meanwhile, in the frying pan used to brown the sausages, melt a tablespoon of butter and fry the bacon, hash browns and the mushrooms over a high heat for 7 minutes until the mushrooms have softened, the bacon begins to crisp and the hash browns turn golden. Transfer to the oven to keep warm.
- In a small saucepan over a medium heat, add the beans and stir frequently.
- Finally, fry the egg with the yolk unbroken to desired consistency and toast the bread. Use the remainder of the butter to spread over the toast.
- On a warm serving plate, bring together the sausages, hash browns, bacon, beans, tomato, mushrooms, fried egg and toast. Season well, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.