French Onion Soup
Put effort into caramelising the onions, plus use the best available beef broth to get the best out of this recipe.
- 4 large yellow onions, you’ll want about 5 lbs. onions total for this recipe
- 2 large sweet onions
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- ¾ cup dry white wine, such as Chardonnay or Pinto Grigio.
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 baguette
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices Gruyere or Emmental chees
- Slice the onions into strings of medium-size. They’ll shrink down and you don’t want them too thin. (Using a mandoline slicer makes this much easier).
- Melt the butter in a large (4-5 quart) soup pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Wait until it begins to foam, this allows water to evaporate out, leaving the butter more clarified and smooth.
- Add the onions and use tongs to toss and coat them in the butter. Leave them uncovered as they cook.
- The onions will caramelize slowly, this takes patience. 6 large onions could take over an hour to fully caramelize. Stir the onions every 15 minutes or so.
- As the onions caramelize, they may leave some brown residue at the bottom of the pot. Add a splash of wine and use a silicone spatula to ‘clean’ the bottom of the pot. Repeat as needed throughout the cooking process.
- During the last 15 minutes, add any remaining wine and increase the heat to medium-high. Toss the onions more frequently. They are done when they are richly brown and sweet.
- Add the beef broth, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves and thyme. Simmer for another 45 minutes, with the lid cracked.
- While the soup simmers, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the baguette into ½ inch thick slices. Brush the tops with olive oil and bake for about 5 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Top each baguette with cheese and bake in the oven until the cheese melts and begins to bubble and brown.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme stems. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the warm soup into each bowl and top each of them with the warm baguettes. Serve!
French Onion Soup