Tuscan-style Sausage Ragu
Try this easy 1 pot dish as a different way to enjoy the delicious sausages available at BritiShop. Slowly cooked in a juicy tomato sauce brings out the flavours perfectly, making this meal greater than the sum of its parts.
Add a glass of white wine and a slice of fresh bread to mop up the juices and enjoy!
- To begin, add the oil to a heavy-based pan (preferably a cast iron one) and place over a medium heat – it will look like an excessive amount of oil at this stage but don’t worry, it will play an important part in the sauce later on.
- Once hot, add the sausages and allow to colour. Remove from the pan and set aside once golden.
- Add the onion and garlic and season with a little salt – this will help to sweat the vegetables, rather than colour them. Gently cook for 7–10 minutes
- Cut the chorizo into long slices and add to the onion and garlic, along with the chilli flakes, paprika and tomato puree. Cook out for a further 7–10 minutes – at this point, the oil should be a bright red colour.
- Add the wine, bring to a rapid boil and allow to reduce by half.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tinned chickpeas (including the liquid in the tin) and water. Return the sausages to the pan and reduce the liquid by half.
- At this stage, the sauce should be thick and glossy from the olive oil. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, freshly grate the Parmesan, lemon zest and garlic clove together. Chop the parsley and pick the basil leaves
- Add the parsley to the ragu and stir. Squeeze in half of the lemon (without the zest) and place the ragu in the centre of the table. Splash over a final touch of olive oil and sprinkle liberally with the garlic, lemon and Parmesan mixture. Grind over a twist of black pepper and eat with fresh focaccia and red wine. Sit back and enjoy the life you have for five peaceful minutes!