Toasties might be one of the simplest forms of cooking, but there is no need for them to be boring!
Today we make a wonderful cheese & ham toastie, full of top quality European ingredients and a great melt of flavour.
- 2 slices white bread , around 1cm thick
- unsalted butter
- 15 g Emmental cheese
- 15 g Mature Cheddar cheese
- 10 g Parmesan cheese
- 2 slices higher-welfare roasted ham
- ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 1 small eating apple
- 1 handful mixed salad leaves , such as frisse, watercress, rocket
- Lightly butter the slices of bread, then place buttered-side down on a chopping board.
- Slice and lay the cheeses over one piece of bread, top with the ham then place the second piece of bread on top, buttered-side up.
- Place into a preheated toastie maker, clamp the lid down and toast for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, add the vinegar and oil to a clean jam jar with a little pinch of salt and pepper, pop the lid on and shake to combine.
- Cut the apple into matchsticks, removing the core, then toss with the salad leaves and dressing.
- Serve the golden toastie with the fresh salad on the side, and tuck in.